Beautiful and vibrant weige shrub
The name of the shrub with the beautiful name of weigela was given by the name of the German scientist Christian von Weigel. This deciduous plant looks pretty spectacular in the garden, pleasing the eye with yellow, pink, peach, reddish-orange and white flowers, resembling bells.
The bush blooms twice: in the spring and at the end of the summer season, acquiring various colors throughout the entire flowering period - from pale to bright, saturated shades. In nature, flowers are found in Asia, the Far East and on the island of Java, and their genus includes 20 species, of which only 7 are used for decorative purposes. They have amazing beauty and create lightness, festivity and comfort in the garden.
Species and Features
Weigela loves wet soils and can grow in the shade. It is a erect plant with serrated crown leaves and bell-shaped or funnel-shaped flowers, reaching 5 cm in diameter.They are single and collected in inflorescences, and after flowering they form fruits in the form of boxes with two wings and small seeds.
Today the most common are the following varieties:
- Early. Differs in dense foliage and gray color of bark, grows up to 2 meters. Flowers are usually pink, the beginning of flowering occurs in May and lasts up to 25 days. Used in the form of a fence;
- Blooming. It has bright green foliage, which remains even in winter. It reaches a height of 3 meters and is equipped with large tubular flowers, gathered in inflorescences, pinkish at the edges and almost white inside. The bush blooms in May-June;
- Korean Usually it does not grow more than 1.5 m, bell-shaped inflorescences change color from white to pink, and subsequently become carmine-red. Located in semi-umbellate inflorescences, beginning to bloom in early summer;
- Intense blossoming. It is a fast-growing variety and grows to 3 meters. The inflorescences are lowered, initially red, but subsequently the color becomes light pink. Blooms in May.
As can be seen in the photo, the plants are usually placed in small groups of 3-4 shrubs, which are combined with each other in the color of the rims, as well as in shape and size.The gaps between bushes are usually planted with hosts, astilba or ferns.
Weigels are often planted in March-April, since the planting in the fall does not have time to adapt and perishes. If the plant was still purchased in the fall, it is necessary to postpone its planting until spring, prikopav in an inclined position, then covering its crown with earth. It is best to choose to buy a plant that already has 3-4 years - such instances take root pretty quickly in new conditions.
The site for planting in the open ground should be well illuminated by the sun and not blown by the winds, since the flower is warm and light-loving, and the wind can easily damage the flowers of the veygels. It is necessary to plant a bush in a loose and fertile soil, and to continue regular loosening after planting. If it is not possible to carry out frequent watering, the soil should be mulched with any material suitable for this purpose.
For the procedure, it is necessary to excavate planting holes 45-50 cm deep, where a mixture of sand and gravel is laid for drainage to a level of 15 cm. Pits should not be placed too close - the optimal distance for the arrangement of bushes is 3 meters.The root neck during the procedure should not be buried, and fall asleep roots should be a mixture of sand, humus and turf.
The most common method of breeding weigela is by green cuttings, since the trees show low efficiency, and the results can be seen only after 5 years. The cuttings are carried out in spring, in April or May, they should be cut at a right angle, having 2 leaves each. The length usually varies from 10 to 12 cm.
Propagation by seeds does not require advance preparation - seeds are planted in boxes with fertile soil and sand. If the seeds are planted superficially, you will need to sprinkle them with river sand and cover them with glass. Shoots usually appear after 2.5-3 weeks.
How to take care of the flower?
The care of the bushes is systematic pruning, feeding and watering. For good growth, they must be pruned, getting rid of dry and diseased branches. The best time to perform the procedure is the end of spring-early summer, and the places of slices are subsequently processed with garden vine.
For the winter period, the bushes should be wrapped with a covering material or kraft paper, and the tree trunk should be covered with spruce branches or dry leaves - this guarantees the plant survival in severe frosts.If it is found that some parts of the weigela are still frostbitten, it is necessary to help planting with abundant watering (about 10 liters of water per 1 bush). The same method should be used on hot dry days.
For adults, the following activities are recommended:
- shaking off snow cover from branches in spring to prevent their deformation;
- shelter plants in winters with little snow using lutrasila;
- subcortical soil twice a year with potassium sulphate, urea and superphosphate;
- regular inspection of vegetation for the appearance of pests or bacterial lesions.
Carrying out these recommendations, the owners of the garden will be able to enjoy the abundant flowering of weigel bush for many years.
Date: 09.10.2018, 09:39 / Views: 82541
Upgrade an energy-saving lamp to LED 2
Come or come: how to
Not enough space in the closet. We present you an easy way to free it
Makeup mirror - a necessary accessory and a stylish element of home interiors
How to determine the size of a finger
How persimmon affects the human body