Healthy Eating - Portion Control
Control Portions When Eating Out
Don't Miss This
Sign Up for OurDiet and NutritionNewsletter
Thanks for signing up!You might also like these other newsletters:
Research shows that the more often a person eats out, the more body fat he or she has. It helps to prepare more meals at home, but when you do eat away from home, try these suggestions to control your portion sizes:
- Share your meal.Order half a portion, or order an appetizer as a main meal. Examples of healthier appetizers include tuna or chicken salad, minestrone soup, and tomato or corn salsas.
- Take at least half of your meal home.Ask that a portion of your meal be boxed up before it's served so you will not be tempted to eat more than you need.
- Stop eating when you begin to feel full.Focus on enjoying the setting and your friends or family for the rest of the meal.
- Avoid large beverages, such as "supersized" sugar-sweetened soft drinks.They have a large number of calories. Instead, try drinking water with a slice of lemon.
- Pack a cooler when traveling.Bring fresh fruit, sliced raw vegetables, and fat-free or low-fat yogurt. Instead of sweetened soda or juice, bring bottled water. You can also bring dried fruit, nuts, and seeds to snack on if you measure out small portions, since these foods can be high in calories. When eating at restaurants while on the road, choose places that serve a variety of foods, including salads and grilled or steamed entrées.
Last updated: April 2007
Video: What is a food portion and how to control portion sizes
How to Be Your Own Executive Assistant
How to Wear Tights Like a Fashion Icon
Smoked Haddock Rarebit Recipe
How to Make a Duct Tape Flower Pen
12. Stop Hair – Hair Reducing Spray
A Review of By Vilain Dynamite Clay
Kerstin Florian Caviar Eye Creme 15ml0.5oz
Twice the Workout, Half the Time
2 Out Of 3 Women Will Develop This Condition Theyre Too Embarrassed To Talk About
All of the Holiday Makeup Ideas You Want RightNow
Olivia Palermo Proves Summer Checks Can Be Chic
How to Pick Broccoli
Honored to Be Back at the White House
22 Pretty Short Hairstyles for Women: Easy Everyday Haircuts