How to handle voice?
In order for the listener to enjoy the sound of the vocal work, it is not enough just good vocals. The quality work of the sound engineer is very important in this matter. His main responsibilities are recording and voice processing. There are different vocal processing techniques, but there are also general rules. This will be written in the article. Also, from its materials it will be possible to find out how voice processing is done online on Internet resources and about home methods of vocal processing.
Types of voice processing
- Clearing noise and unwanted artifacts;
- Voice alignment, i.e. compression;
- Applying effects, as well as adjusting harmonic errors.
Clearing unwanted artifacts and noise
For the purification of noise, there are special programs - noise suppressors, or denoiser, DeNoiser. The principle of their work consists of 2 stages:
- Noise scanning. It is necessary to choose a section with silence, because it gives only noise and does not give a useful signal. To fix it in memory of the noise suppressor.
- Noise suppression.With the help of regulators need to achieve the desired effect. De-essers, De-Essers, help remove artifacts from all hissing, including "C".
To ensure that the vocals in the song are not hammered by the sound of the instruments, they are compressed. It is necessary to set certain settings, for example, the sensitivity should be 20 dB, the percentage of compression is 4: 1. After the correct settings, the voice will not be lost in the general mix.
It is necessary to cut frequencies below 60 Hz, then, in order for the vocals not to be sharp, it needs to be reduced to 1000 Hz. These settings will be universal for different types of vocals and voices. The remaining settings must be selected individually.
Adjusting Pitch and Effects
Effects such as reverb or echo are not added to the original vocal track, but during the arrangement process. But sometimes it takes an overlay of effects on the original track. This may be a tonal adjustment. It is used to eliminate harmonic errors.
Online voice processing
There is a very interesting online resource on the Internet that allows you to record voice and process it online. This is a web recording studio called Ujam. Record sequence:
- Press the GO JAM button. The interface is loaded to get started.
- Press the Record button.
- Make sure that the signal from the microphone goes to the audio input. This will be indicated by fluctuations in the signal strength indicator opposite the MICRO SIG.
- Select a recording method: Sign to a click - record for clicks with a certain tempo; Sign freely - free performance.
- Press the record button. CLICK TO RECORD.
- A countdown will be heard - one, two, three, four, five ... - and voice recording will begin in online mode.
- After that, you can save the recording and start processing vocals.
Voice recording and processing at home
- Record. If possible, the voice can be processed before recording. You can cut off the equalizer only the lower frequencies, the others do not touch. Because, having distorted something, it will be more difficult to return back than if you do the processing of an already recorded voice. Voice can also be precompressed. Again, it is important not to overdo it. It will be possible to press after the recording, but it is difficult to return. Compression here should be used only to make the voice denser, smooth the difference between the sound of quiet and loud places.
- Voice processing. After recording, the vocals need to be processed and shrunk into the mix.If the initial equalization and compression were not performed before recording, this should be done right now. In the subsequent equalization, it may be necessary to slightly remove the midrange noise or add air, raising for this top. But do not do a deep equalization. Let the voice sound natural.
Reverb must be harmonious with the whole arrangement. It is added to taste and, depending on the tasks. In many cases, it should be, but should not sound specifically like an echo. If the voice was written from a long distance and the mix is also made, then artificial reverb may not be necessary. If the voice is recorded dryly, there is no external atmosphere around it, then it should be created by such reverb.
For voice processing there are a lot of different programs. Consider the most convenient of them in more detail.
Voice processing software
There is a very good program with powerful vocal processing functionality. It is called Adobe Audition. For processing by this program such filters are more often used:
- Noise removal on recorded track. In order to make the use of the filter more successful, it is necessary to fulfill one requirement while recording the voice. Record silence, seconds 20-30. Preferably at the beginning of the recording.Next, select the silence, go to the "Effects" tab, select the "Noise Reduction" item. In the menu that opens, tick the "Capture Profile" button. After "capturing silence", you can use the slider to adjust the "degree of smoothing noise." You can listen to your settings by clicking the View button. Be careful! In the case of coarse noise removal, the voice can be distorted and can become inanimate and "metallic".
- Quick filter. This is a direct voice processing step. Voice can be added using the filters "depth", if it seems not enough "juicy." With this program you can achieve a slight shift of the tone or change the voice beyond recognition. The quick filter is located in the Effects tab, then click on the filters. It is a 7 equalizer. Used for rough adjustments, i.e. tone settings.
Processing vocals, as we found out, can be done in a professional studio and at home. In this article, you learned how to handle voice. Good luck to you.
Date: 09.10.2018, 02:18 / Views: 63232
Golden Key Cake Recipe
Beef with red wine sauce
Cooking stuffed bread - pizza
Instagram for computer
How to turn a package of chips into unusual decor things
Scarf jabot - an elegant addition to the stylish look