LED lighting for the kitchen: SELECTION AND INSTALLATION
WHY CHOOSE LED
Everyone knows about the advantages of LED lighting compared to both traditional incandescent lamps and energy-saving lamps. This is extremely high economy and durability. It is also important that the LEDs light up at full power instantly, without requiring time to warm up, their service life does not depend on the number of on-off. The only drawback is the relatively high cost. But the costs justify themselves: LED lighting in the kitchen will last for several decades, saving a lot of money due to low electricity consumption.
If you already have a different type of kitchen lighting, do not rush to change it to a new one. Manufacturers produce LED lamps for virtually any type of base and, most likely, you can replace only the lamp itself, without changing anything in the lamp or limited to a minor alteration.
Recommended kitchen ergonomic lighting schemes
WHERE TO LIGHT THE LIGHT
Proper lighting in the kitchen should be multi-zone. This is a general lighting, the light above the dining table and of course, LED lights for the working area of the kitchen.
The sophisticated consumer, technically savvy and familiar with the novelties of interior design, is often not limited to only functional lighting.
Where should and can be located lights for the kitchen?
- Work area - lighting for cabinets.
The lighting level in the working area should be the highest.
- The hood above the stove has a built-in light.
If the light of the hood seems insufficient to you, you can replace the standard lamps with brighter and more economical diodes.
It adds convenience or simply decorates the interior with additional lighting in the following places:
- Illuminated glass cabinets. If you do not have collectible tableware, put frosted glass in the door, it is no less beautiful.
Soft light emanating from the glass cabinets visually facilitates the kitchen set
- Above the top cabinets, if the room has sufficient height.Light directed to the ceiling will make the room visually higher.
- Under the lower tier of cabinets. The light source should not be visible, so thin and unobtrusive LED strip for the kitchen is best suited.
The lights in the kitchen above and below the cabinets, led to the ceiling and floor by LEDs, are not designed for work, therefore it may not be white, but colored. The top light can be bright, and the bottom should be dimmed, noticeably softer than in the working area.
- LED strip in the kitchen can be installed under the worktop and directed along the facades of the lower cabinets, highlighting their contents.
The tape is fixed directly under the table top. The table top itself should be relative to the furniture front for a distance not less than the width of the light element.
- You can highlight the very countertop from the inside, for this it must be transparent. Make them from glued in several layers of glass, transparent polymer.
LED strip mounted along the contour of the translucent tabletop
Another option is a hidden LED backlight in a glass top. The light source is sent from the end.To maximize the effect, the tabletop is made of transparent quartz glass with matte parts applied to the surface. They will shine
- Highlighting the bar, if any.
LED lighting for the kitchen in the area of the bar is directed, as a rule, down
- The glowing skin is the latest fashion. The light does not fall on it from outside, but comes from within.
The glowing skin came into the kitchen interior from advertising lighting. This is a flat diode panel with an image printed on a glass of milk.
Actually, LED lights in the kitchen can be placed almost anywhere. Limit your imagination can only financial considerations.
WHAT ARE KITCHEN LED LAMPS
With their own hands, LED illumination can be made using ready-made lamps or the lighting system can actually be assembled independently from individual elements. We list the main types of devices used:
- Overhead linear lights. Sold both individually and in sets, where several modules with a special adapter are connected in series in one block.
LED lighting for the working area of the kitchen with your own hands from ready-made linear modules
- Overhead spot type.
LED illumination of the working area, made of corner lamps
Luminaires, both linear and spotlight, equipped with sensor switches appeared on the market. It is enough to touch their body in a certain place to turn the light on or off.
The touch switch is usually indicated by a permanently lit blue LED.
- Mortise lamps, linear and point. Being very thin, they are mounted in the bottom shelf of the cabinet flush with the bottom surface.
Mortise diode lights for the kitchen is completely hidden in the lower shelf. This is convenient, but the installation of such a lamp requires a certain qualification.
- LED strips for lighting the kitchen are used no less widely than ready-made lamps. The reason for this popularity is in a wide choice in terms of brightness and color and, which is very convenient, the tape can be cut to exactly the required length. It costs less than the finished fixtures.
The choice of brightness and color is very diverse.
MOUNTING LED TAPE OWN HANDS
With the finished lamps everything is more or less clear, but how to make the lights on the kitchen set with your own hands from the LED strip?
FROM WHAT A LED BACKLIGHT WILL BE CONSTITUTING BASED ON TAPE
To build a workable lamp you will need the following materials:
- Diode tape of the required length.
- If necessary, an aluminum guide profile.
Kitchen lighting will look neater if you place it in a special aluminum profile. This solution facilitates the installation of lighting.
- Power supply 12 watts.
- Electrical cable and plug or terminal strip, depending on the type of connection. We recommend using a copper stranded double braided cross section of at least 2x0.75 mm2.
- Heat shrinkable tubing for sealing joints.
LED tape is often sold with power supply and control
HOW TO CHOOSE A LED TAPE
LED strip in the kitchen should be protected from water, this is one of the conditions for safe operation. The minimum level of moisture protection is IP44 (can withstand the entry of individual water droplets), better than IP65 (water jet). Voltage - 12 W, as the safest.
LED lighting for the working area of the kitchen should be bright, the spectrum is close to natural daylight. We recommend using a ribbon with three-crystal SMD 50x50 LEDs of 30 diodes of 12 lumens each per meter of length. If you want to have the light brighter, especially when equipping the backlight with a dimmer, it is better to choose a product from 60 diodes. Color temperature ranging from 3300 to 500 K.
Additional lighting for the kitchen, as a rule, should not be bright. Often enough SMD 35x28 of 30 diodes of 5 lumens per meter. The color of a significant practical role does not play and depends more on the design idea.
Technical characteristics of recommended tapes
HOW TO CHOOSE THE POWER SUPPLY AND SWITCH FOR LED KITCHEN TAPE
In order for the LED lights in the kitchen to work stably, we recommend choosing a power supply unit with a power margin of about 25%. The capacity of the tape depends on the model, technical specifications can be obtained from the seller. So, SMD 50x50 of 30 diodes “takes” 7.2 W per meter of length. Thus, if the length is, for example, 4 m, the total power will be equal to 28.8 watts. Accordingly, the power supply with a 25% margin - 36 watts. Choose a compact model, it will be easier to hide.
As for the switch, the following options are possible:
- Simple push button.
- Touch by touch.
- Infrared, reacts to the wave of the hand.
- Dimmer regulating luminous flux. Control can be mechanical, in the form of a rotating handle or touch.
- A control unit that causes the light to flash or shine with multi-colored lights if a multi-color RGB tape is selected. Although, such effects are used infrequently.
Diode lighting for the kitchen on the basis of several tapes should be carried out only in parallel wiring diagram
MOUNTING LED TAPE IN THE KITCHEN WITH YOUR OWN HANDS
LED lighting should be assembled in accordance with the following rules:
- The tape can not be cut at length arbitrarily, only in certain places. For this, special marks are made on it.
- If you need to use multiple tapes they are connected to the power supply in parallel.
- The electrical cable from the power supply should be connected to the tape not by connectors, but by soldering, this is safer. The joint should be sealed with a shrink tube. Electrical tape can also be used, but it is more difficult to make it and it will not look so neat.
Step-by-step recommendations on soldering tape and cable connections
- The usual key or pushbutton switch is placed before the power supply.
Connection diagram with conventional switch
Dimmer or RGB unit - after the power supply.
LED strip in the kitchen: photo wiring diagrams with adjustable luminous flux
- Mounted LED lighting for the kitchen under the cabinets with a double-sided adhesive tape. At first, you should only slightly fix the tape in several places and, making sure that it is in the right place and lay flat, press firmly along the entire length.
If you do not have sufficient knowledge and skills to work with electrics and electronics, entrust the installation of the backlight to specialists.
Date: 08.11.2018, 19:58 / Views: 72144
12 world-class museums to visit online
How to cope with feelings of guilt
How to remove the mounting foam
Photo ideas of original floors that will amaze your guests
Use apple cider vinegar correctly
Rose bottle packaging
A double blanket without sewing Easy with this trick