What is dangerous plastic dishes?
Plastic utensils are popular because they are lightweight, convenient to use, inexpensive and practical. But is it safe? Let's figure it out!
What do scientists say?
American scientists conducted research and concluded that most of the components of various types of plastic found in the human body fall into it from dishes. The share of such substances can reach 80%! But according to the law, dishes should be made of safe food plastic, which is suitable for contact with food and does not have a negative impact on health.
In fact, things are very different. Firstly, unscrupulous manufacturers often cunning and do not indicate the exact composition of the material, hiding its probable harm. Secondly, for the production of dishes used various types of plastic, including potentially dangerous and poorly understood. Thirdly, there are some rules of operation that are far from being followed.
Plastic ware - a large category, which includes items from various materials, such as polyvinyl chloride, polyethylene, polystyrene, polypropylene, polycarbonate. And each type of plastic contains potentially hazardous compounds.
What is dangerous for a person plastic dishes? Its impact on health and the body depends on the composition of the object. Consider separately the different types of materials, their applications and hazardous properties:
- PET (E) or PET is polyethylene terephthalate, which is used to produce plastic bottles and packaging for beverages and containers. Such plastic is considered the most qualitative and suitable for contact with food. But during recycling, the material can release phthalates and become dangerous. Such substances contribute to an increase in pressure and increase the risk of infertility. Use items can not be longer than a year, then they are recycled.
- LDPE, PEHD, (HDPE). High-pressure polyethylene is usually used to make bags and packages for some beverages. Poor quality material can secrete formaldehyde, which has pronounced allergenic, carcinogenic and mutagenic properties, and can also affect the central nervous system and the reproductive.
- V, PVC, PVC - polyvinyl chloride.This type is used to obtain finishing and building materials, furniture, footwear, packing films, pharmacological preparations, bottles. It is difficult to call it food: it releases carcinogen vinyl chloride, phthalates, heavy metals upon contact with fats and at elevated temperatures. Vinyl chloride, accumulating in cells and tissues and reaching significant volumes, is comparable to neurotropic poison, which has teratogenic, carcinogenic and mutagenic effects. Heavy metals are toxic and detrimental to all vital systems.
- Low-pressure polyethylene (possible markings: HDPE, LDPE, PELD) is most often used for the production of pipes, packaging films, packages, toys, and containers for cleaning products. This material is capable of releasing toxic formaldehyde, therefore it is not necessary to contact food products.
- PP (another version - PP) - polypropylene has a wide scope of application: bottles and jars are made of it, medical products, containers, packaging films, cups, items for hot dishes. This type will withstand temperatures of no more than 70-75 degrees, and with more intensive heating will begin the release of formaldehyde.
- PS (PS) - polystyrene, going to cups for coffee and other hot drinks (their walls resemble foam in structure), containers and trays for different dishes and products (including hot ones), spoons and forks, heat and electrical insulating materials. Styrene, which is a carcinogen, is detrimental to the nervous system, which disrupts hematopoiesis and metabolic processes, as well as depressing reproductive function.
- Polycarbonate, other plastics (labeling OTHER, OTHER) can go to the production of bottles intended for long-term use, baby bottles and mugs, multi-layered packages. With prolonged heating, bisphenol A is released, which has a cumulative effect, which increases the risk of developing diabetes, which has an oncogenic effect and disrupts the functioning of the reproductive system.
How to minimize harm and maintain health?
To protect yourself and avoid health problems, follow a few rules:
- If possible, discard plastic utensils and use them only when urgently needed, and not as an alternative to ordinary objects.
- Handle all items with care and care, as their damage is a way to literally release hazardous compounds outside and harm human health and even adversely affect the environment.
- Do not heat dishes to high temperatures. And if it is intended for cold food, then, in general, avoid any thermal effects.
- Do not try to use disposable plastic plates or cups again, throw them away after the first and only use.
- Do not use aggressive detergents that contain lye or concentrated acids to care for items made of plastic. Such components can disrupt the structure of the material and react with its components, and the consequences can be dangerous and irreversible.
- Try not to store fatty foods and alcohol in plastic containers: spirits and fats penetrate the structure of the material and provoke the release of toxic compounds.
- Do not use plastic dishes after the expiration date. Reusable items last an average of six months or a year.
- In disposable dishes do not store food for more than three to five hours.
- Acquire the ware of the checked manufacturers, having marks that food plastic was used for production.
- Use all items strictly for their intended purpose, which bona fide manufacturers should indicate on the label. If there are no marks, it is worth the alert.
- Do not store baby food in such dishes.
Plastic can be harmful and even dangerous to the body, so use dishes from such material carefully and correctly.
Date: 09.10.2018, 09:40 / Views: 32272
How to celebrate the birthday of the child
How to clean the body of parasites at home
Robert Pattinson and daughter Johnny Depp will play the prince and princess
Buns with nut filling
How to keep the original look of a fur coat from a muton for many years
From the package for garbage, wire and glue, the skilled worker made a delightful decor for the home